Jersey Airport (JER)
History, Facts and Overview
(Jersey, Channel Islands)
Before the arrival of Jersey Airport in 1937, most arriving aircraft were simply seaplanes, landing on the open shoreline of St. Aubin's Bay. Jersey Airport initially comprised four separate grassy runways, with taxiways made of concrete being added shortly afterwards and during the war.
The year of 1952 saw the arrival of a long tarmac runway, measuring almost 1,300 metres / 4,265 feet, being further updated over subsequent years, until it finally reached its present length in the mid-1970s. Recent enhancements at Jersey Airport include a major extension of the terminal building in 1997.
The main shops at Jersey Airport are clustered in the Departures Hall around the Alpha Airport Shopping Mall, including the Alpha Duty Free Shop, along with a selection of eateries at the airside Island Quarters Food Court. On the landside of Jersey Airport, the Aviator Restaurant and Bar is a definite highlight and features excellent runway views.
While there is no public business centre at Jersey Airport, British Airways and Flybe have VIP lounges that offer limited business and conference facilities to members or by invitation. However, the airport is conveniently situated very close to St. Helier, where business travellers can find many hotels and other venues at which to hold meetings.